10/28/09

Institution of the Eucharist


Chartres Cathedral Stained Glass
Passion of Christ Window (c.1150): Last Supper
THE INSTITUTION OF THE EUCHARIST

I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer.
Jesus took bread, blessed it: "Take and eat, this is My Body."
Taking the wine: "This cup is the new covenant in my Blood, shed for you."
At that eucharistic meal, Jesus celebrated the first Mass.
At every Mass the sacrifice of Calvary is made present.
At the Last Supper Jesus instituted the sacrament of Holy Orders to perpetuate this sacrifice.
"Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him."
The Eucharist is a sacrifice inasmuch as it is offered up, and a sacrament inasmuch as it is received.
In the Mass we offer ourselves to God, and God gives himself to us.
The Mass will be fruitful in the measure of our surrender to the Father.
Spiritual Fruit: Love of our Eucharistic Lord

No comments:

Post a Comment